What you can do
Even when people are offering their help constantly, it’s not easy to ask. We appreciate every single offer more than you can imagine. This page is for us to put down ideas, so we’ll know what to say when people offer.
- Help us keep our spirits up by telling us a really funny story or something like that.
- Keep us company. Talk to either of us and let us talk.
- Send us cards and flowers. I love all flowers and even really appreciate flowers gathered from your yard!
- Be cautious about what sort of “medical advice” or opinions on cancer that you offer us. Don’t be offended if we reject your medical advice. We are being bombarded with every theory about cancer that has ever been written, thought or dreamed. It’s a little much.
- Be available to drive me to appointments.
- Keep offering help until we accept it. 😉
- Bring us healthy food.
- Come over and help me garden.
- Don’t freak out if we don’t return phone calls or e-mails. Just try to contact us again. You won’t bother us. We will turn off the phone or ignore e-mail when needed.
- When you tell me something, like your phone number, don’t be afraid to tell me 40 more times. I am forgetting everything and accidentally deleting e-mails I intended to keep. It’s all just very overwhelming and your patience is appreciated.
- Keep us in your thoughts and prayers.