One month down, three to go

I will have my third chemo treatment tomorrow. I’m done with my first month of chemo! Woo hoo!

I am not looking forward to treatment tomorrow. Before the first treatment, the nurse was explaining my anti-nausea meds. One of them, you take the night before. She explained it’s an anti-anxiety drug. Since anxiety and nausea are closely linked in the body, almost all anti-nausea drugs are also anti-anxiety drugs. By taking the first the night before, it helps head off any anxiety people have about chemo, which would contribute to nausea. And once the nausea starts, it’s hard to stop.

I remember that first time choosing not to take the drug the night before. I didn’t have one bit of anxiety. I was EXCITED to be having chemo — poison those stupid cancer cells! Hoo rah! But this week is a different story. By Wednesday, I was considering whether I should start taking the drugs. Today, I would have started at noon if I had been home. I had some nausea this afternoon out of the blue and I just have to believe it’s anxiety.

The treatment themselves aren’t the problem. It’s the seven days after. I don’t want to be sick for another week. It sucks. I don’t want to have to cut out 90 percent of my life and end up lying around, watching TV. It’s MAY for heaven’s sake. I don’t watch TV in the summer! I can’t do anything except sleep or hang out. I don’t feel like leaving the house because I don’t know when the next time I will need to sleep will be. Also, I’m off balance from the drugs, so it’s a little hard to walk some days. And I get easily overwhelmed and about 10,000 other bizarre side effects.


On the up side, I got to go to work today! (Ha. How often do you hear that much excitement from anyone about going to work?) I actually went into the office for the first time since March 13. That was the longest stretch ever. Even when I had Colleen, I came to visit when she was about six weeks old! It was great to see everyone and it was too short. I was holed up in an office much of the day. I left once to go down the hall for a drink and it ended up taking 40 minutes because several people stopped me! I was glad, though, to be stopped. I missed everyone. And I did get to hang out with the people from my office for almost an hour — they had donuts for me. Well, they had donuts for everyone else and gave me my choice of fruit! (I had a banana.)

I get to go back in two weeks. I’m looking forward to it already.

Relay for Life update!
We are up to $400 in cash and $100 in pledges! I can’t believe how much you guys rock. It has been a mere FOUR DAYS since I posted about our plans to be in the relay. The majority of the money came from people reading this blog. The rest came from some of Troy’s co-workers. I am so amazed by everyone’s generosity. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

To make a donation to the Maynards walking in the Relay for Life, click on the “Make a Donation” button below.

(Link removed – donation deadline has passed! Thanks to all who contributed!)

Author: rosie

Share This Post On


  1. No, but Rosie Maynard will be!

    Appearance Schedule
    * 9:45 a.m.: autograph signing
    * 10 a.m.-11 a.m.: walk
    * 11 a.m.-11:15 a.m.: water cooler appearance
    * 11:15 a.m.: fainting spell
    * 11:30 a.m.: hauled off in ambulance

    Post a Reply

Talk to me! I'm lonely.

%d bloggers like this: